Broad Arrow Farm is a growing farrow to finish, forest-raised hog operation in Mid-coast Maine. We are currently in the process of becoming certified organic through MOFGA. Our primary focus is on pigs, though we also raise sheep, and are creating local markets for chickens, ducks and turkeys. With your help, we plan to diversify this Mid-coast Maine farm.
The Broad Arrow Farm internship program offers individuals a chance to become fully immersed in sustainable agriculture, with a practical, hands-on approach. Our goal is to educate future farmers on managing the various aspects of a small farm operation. We pride ourselves on working as part of a team to provide quality organic food to our community, while promoting the local Maine economy.
We are looking for ambitious, hardworking, honest and reliable interns that are passionate about, and dedicated to farming, and who will come to work with a positive attitude, eager to learn the fundamentals of sustainable farming and organic management practices. Farming is not just a job, but a lifestyle choice, and we want to work with people that welcome and enjoy this challenge. This position requires five 8-10+/- days with two rotating days off each week to explore the beauty of the Maine coast, and the Pemaquid Peninsula.
Some key components include, but are not limited to:
· Routine chores: Feeding and watering animals twice daily, collecting, washing and packaging eggs, moving poultry tractors
· Creating new silvo-pasture: LOTS of fencing, planting, designing rotational systems
· Building housing structures for the animals
· Crop production: designing field lay out, starting seeds, planting, weeding, cultivating, harvesting, and learning about crop rotation.
· Equipment operation
· Humane handling of animals
· Running Farm Store: Opening duties, Setting up displays, sales, general business practices
· Using livestock management software
· On-farm events
· Visiting other farms and various educational events in the area
What is included?
· Housing and utilities
· Food grown on the farm
· Weekly stipend for living expenses.
All accepted applicants will be housed in our newly renovated 5 bedroom farmhouse. Each intern will have their own fully furnished bedroom. Bedrooms available on first come, first-serve basis. The farmhouse also boasts a large mudroom, laundry room, 2 bathrooms, kitchen, and furnished living and dining rooms. House phone, WiFi, and electricity are also included. Because this is a communal area, all interns will be expected to clean and maintain all living quarters. Our farm will also provide you with a select portion of pork, eggs and vegetables that we grow and raise here on the property.
Email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include a few brief statements answering the following questions:
· Why are you passionate about farming?
· What brings you to Broad Arrow Farm?
· What do you want to get out of this internship?
· What are your future goals in agriculture?
· How long are you able to stay with us?
We would love to see any pictures of projects you have personally worked on!